http://www.rd.com/family/hochman-family-cuts-spending/
We won't go that far! Kenny and I tried this a few years ago and we were amazed at how much money we saved in a month. As I try to make my decision about going back to work vs. staying at home, I decided that this would be a great time to try to make May the month of "no-spending"! Being at home, I often find myself browsing websites and being drawn into shopping online. There are all kinds of incentives and discounts that I find hard to pass up. We've received LOTS of clothes for the girls and as I organized I realized there was no NEED to buy more (but who can walk by the baby clothes without seeing something cute to buy!) So, I will refrain from online shopping for this month! There is a $20 bill in my wallet and I hope it is still there at the end of the month.
Our "rules":
- When meal planning, use what we have first, and then buy just what is needed and only what it on the list.
- No clothing purchases.
- No eating out or ordering in (pizza, subs, drive-thru etc.)
- Check cupboards and use what we have before buying more (cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc.)
- Be amazed at our bank account and how much is saved!!
A post wouldn't be complete without some photos of the girls.
Jenna and Rachel
Jenna holding up her head! (Finally!)
Jenna in the Bumbo seat looking at daddy:
Jenna and Rachel with Cow outfits from my friend, Crystal:
The cow outfits from behind!

Good for you two! It really is incredible how much less you can live on, if you really have motivation to do it. I'll be praying for you two as you make your decision about staying home or going back to work. You know where my heart is, but I'll pray that you come to the right decision for the four of YOU!! :)
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I hope your new spending habbits go well. Have you ever read any Dave Ramsey stuff? He's totally changed the way we spend/save.
ReplyDeleteWhen it comes to buying necessities, I always make sure I have enough of everything we need for the month, and then I buy "extra" only if there is a sale and I have a coupon. I have gotten some GREAT deals buying things that way. Plus, BJ's will take multiple coupons on top of their own coupons for items. So sometimes I end up with $12 - $14 off a big box of diapers = about $26 for like 216 or something.
I will spare you anymore...I could talk for hours about how I shop/save. LOL!
Love it! You know I am all about saving!! But gasoline??? Not sure I could do that...being that we live 20 mins from anything and I pick up Kylie every day. We went through the same thing when I decided to be a SAHM. It is a lifestyle change but one I am glad we made. Good luck and I look forward to taking the challenge with you!
ReplyDelete