Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Coughing, coughing...

I think the girls have had a cold or some kind of virus each month since they turned 1.  Most of the time, they are sick at the same time and it overlaps.  But other times one will be sick and then the other will get sick a few days later so it seems like there has been sickness in house FOREVER!  We haven't seen friends or been to story time in the past 2 weeks!
Last week, Rachel was congested with a slight runny nose on Sunday.  By Wednesday, Jenna started coughing...and coughing, and coughing.  On Thursday night, shortly after she fell asleep, she woke up with the loudest "barking" cough I've ever heard.  While I sat in the steamy bathroom with her, Kenny called the 24 hour nurse's number at the doctor's office.  The nurse could hear Jenna's loud breathing and cough so she suggested we take her to the ED at Augusta Health. Poor Jenna was so tired but she did great.  She had an x-ray which determined croup.  A steroid shot was given to her to help with swelling and inflammation.  We got home around midnight. It helped even though she still coughs sometimes during naps and at night.  I was glad we took her. As a mom, I often second guess my decisions and wonder if I should have done something differently.  I just kept thinking that everything I read said that if a child sounds like she's having trouble breathing, get help right away.  
A few days later, Rachel started coughing.  It didn't sound like Jenna so it's probably just part of her cold.  It's such an awful feeling, to hear them coughing while they're trying to sleep.  Hopefully they'll be better soon!  



1 comment:

  1. Aw. Poor babies. Our oldest daughter is a cougher. Every time she gets a cold it is hack, hack, hack! Sometimes a humidifier really helps. The best treatment we have found is a saline nasal spray, but we only use it rarely because it is not much fun to administer!

    ReplyDelete