I've been meaning to update this blog for a week now, but it has been busy!!
Last Saturday (Christmas) was a normal day. Kenny and I went to a Christmas breakfast at the Johnson's house and then played games in the afternoon. We made a delicious ham dinner at night and then went to bed.
A little before midnight, I woke up feeling different and thinking something wasn't right. It turns out my water broke. I wasn't sure what was happening so I woke up Kenny and called the hospital around midnight. The nurse I talked with said we need to come in.
We were not thinking clearly and I didn't bring anything to the hospital except for my purse. On the way to the hospital, I began having contractions. I was admitted around 12:45, checked and found to be 3cm dilated. These girls were coming! I was hooked up to a machine to measure contractions and to check on the girls (like the non-stress test from before)
My doctor arrived around 3am and I was 6cm dilated. The nurses and my doctor encouraged me to get an epidural because of the possibility of having a C-Section. An ultrasound was done, and both babies were in the head down position so it looked good to give birth vaginally. The contractions weren't getting stronger so I was given pitocin.
Kenny left and went home get the camera and some other things we might need at the hospital.
Around 8:00, I was 9.5 cm dilated and I could feel stronger contractions (the epidural helped with pain, but I could still feel contractions).
I was wheeled into the operating room, still because of the uncertainty of what "Baby B" would do. Pushing began and "Baby A" was born at 8:36. After taking a short break, pushing began again and "Baby B" was born at 8:49.
The babies were taken to warming tables and checked. I could hear their cries and knew they were healthy!!
Baby A: Jenna Kathryn, 5lbs 7oz, 17.5 inches long
Baby B: Rachel Elizabeth, 4lbs 14 oz, 18 inches long
Both babies were breathing on their own with no need for oxygen(something that is often needed for babies born 35 weeks and sooner). Rachel had low blood sugar and needed an IV with glucose. Because of this, I wasn't able to see her right away, but I knew the nurses were taking good care of her.
I was discharged from the hospital on Tuesday 12/28 but stayed in another room while the girls were monitored for an extra day. We were all able to go home on Wednesday 12/29 because the girls were eating well, didn't show signs of jaundice, and were ready!!
I am in love and in complete awe of these two beautiful girls.

What a perfect story! I'm so glad everything went so smoothly and that they are already such perfect over-achievers! I can't wait to meet them...
ReplyDeleteCongratulations. So adorable and the one is so awake in the last picture. Enjoy every momemtn while they are this little- they grow fast.
ReplyDeleteJeannette
You look wonderful, Sheila. Kenny looks way confident and so happy. And the girls...well, the last time something took my breath away was seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time. Seeing them last week took my breath away. In awe is about as close to a description that comes anyway near to how I feel about your daughters. Maybe it is because I am so ready to be a grandmother. Maybe it is because the older I get the more I comprehend God's grace. Maybe because I think you are a wonderful person and I have been so blessed to see you grow growing them. Maybe because I anxiously await seeing my baby twin sisters in heaven. Jenna and Rachel are wonderfully beautiful and blessed to have you both as parents. Thank you for letting me have a window seat in all this. See you soon, my friend. Love, Debra RT
ReplyDelete