On Saturday, November 2, I got a phone call from mom saying that Grandma had passed away. She was in hospice care, so I believe she was able to go peacefully. Sandra and Steve were here and we all cried together. We shared memories of Grandma and all the wonderful things she meant to us. They left the following Monday but we made quick plans to come up to NY for the services.
Even though I live in Virginia, I've felt close to my Grandma through our letters and our visits. This past summer, we visited just before her 90th birthday. I was excited for her but she said it was bittersweet. She talked about how sad she has been since her twin sister Elma had died on their 88th birthday. She said it was like a piece of her was missing. So although she was happy for this upcoming milestone, she knew the day would come soon where she could be reunited with her sister.
I was saddened to see that I don't have any good pictures of Grandma with Jenna and Rachel. Every time we would visit, we were having so much fun talking and watching the girls play, there was never a moment to take out the camera. They have 2 special handkerchiefs of Grandma's that were sent in little purses for their 2nd birthday. One has roses (that's Rachel's) and the other has Poinsettias (Jenna's). They call them their tiny blankets. As they get older, I will be able to share stories about their special Great-Grandma.
We got to NY on Friday and I attended the graveside service. We huddled under a tent as the bitter wind blew from Lake Ontario. Sandra and I decided we needed to have better tissues for the service the next day. The only thing we had were Subway napkins I had found in my pocket.
The service was at Grandma's church on Saturday where she was an active member for many years. It was packed. My aunt had asked if we would like to share anything about Grandma. Two of my cousins shared first and touched on all the wonderful things we would remember about Grandma, from her Pacquin's hand cream (the secret to extra-soft hands) to delicious pies, to her kind listening ear, and wonderful hugs. Sandra and I shared next. Unfortunately Jenna didn't like that I left her in the pew and started to cry and then scream. I was embarrassed especially since the service was being recorded. My cousin mentioned to me afterwards "Remember, Grandma always loved the sound of children in church." Yes she did. Maybe not screaming, but I felt better.
Here's what I shared during the service:
"During the past week when I've been talking about grandma or reading memories about her, the word often used to describe her is sweet. Sweet for her love for her family, sweet for her hugs, sweet for her wonderful pies, sweet for her singing. My memories of my grandma are sweet. Living in VA we often corresponded with letters and I would look forward to these, with her beautiful swirling cursive on the front. She was interested in my life and I loved reading about what she was doing. I felt even more connected living 8 hours away.
One if my favorite memories involve my summertime visits. Being a teacher, I had the summers off and would,come to NY for over a week to see friends and family. I always made time to stay a few days at grandma and grandpas house. We would talk, play games, visit people, and get to know,each other better. In the summer of 2010, I came to visit when I was pregnant, only 8 or 9 weeks so I hadn't told many people yet. Grandma was so excited to find out I was expecting twins, she told everyone we saw... "This is my granddaughter Sheila. She's pregnant with twins!" I loved her excitement and this special "twin mommy" bond we had.
I could tell about so many fond memories I have of Grandma Teeple. She was an amazing, sweet woman who took interest in the lives of those around her. She will be greatly missed."







No comments:
Post a Comment