When Kenny and I bought our first house in 2004, we decided we wanted to get 2 kittens. We went to Lollypop Farm and came home with a tiny black cat we named Fiona and a gray cat with big ears we named Charlie. We both loved these cats but I formed a special bond with Charlie. During my work on Master's degree, I often found myself sitting in front on the computer. Charlie would sit next to me, but most of the time he sat in my lap. I referred to him as my grey shadow.
Both cats were affectionate but| Charlie thought he was one of the babies |
In recent weeks, Jenna would get excited when he would come near. If she was in the exersaucer or the jumperoo, she would start bouncing when Charlie walked by. He would let her pet his head and didn't seem to mind much if she grabbed at his fur. I had vision of the girls growing up with Charlie has their companion. (Not to forget about Fiona, but she didn't take much interest in the girls!)
He seemed to be doing better but on July 4th, he wasn't acting quite right again. Kenny brought him back on Tuesday and his BUN and creatinine numbers were lower so we were told to keep an eye on him. By Friday, he was acting the way he had a week before and this time the values were high again (outside of normal limits). The fluids were helping short term, but it really was like a roller coaster.
Kenny and I decided that it would be best if he was euthanized because it was obvious he was suffering. We knew that he may live longer but it would mean giving him daily injections of subcutaneous fluids, trying to coax him to eat, and hoping that he would make it to the litter box.
Today I had my grey shadow again. I think he could tell that I was upset. As I laid on the bed crying, Charlie jumped up and snuggled next to me. He stayed with me as I played with the girls. 15 minutes before we left for the vet, he lay at my feet, shivering and shaking. This was one of the hardest decisions I think I've ever had to make.

So sorry
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry about the loss of Charlie. My beloved Hobo died of kidney failure while I was pregnant with the trio. It's so hard.
ReplyDelete